I suppose the rub is what to do about it. Here are my suggestions.
1. Keep your phone in your pocket when you are around real people.
2. Initiate conversations by asking a question. This is key. Most people want to be left alone initially; however, if you have a need they will come to your aid. Here are some starters: At the grocery store, “Do you know where the pickles are?” At the gym, “How does this piece of equipment work?” “I’m new here, is there a good Chinese restaurant nearby?” Sometimes you will get one-word answers and then nothing. Try again gently and then pray for them silently. You will have another opportunity soon.
3. Be a good listener. Don’t think they think your stories are better than theirs because they think their stories are better than yours.
4. Ask insightful questions. Almost everyone has a story they want to tell. The problem is nobody seems to want to listen.
5. When they eventually show interest in this person who listens (you), give them a snippet about Jesus. Even if it’s just a comment about your church, or reading your Bible. Anything to initiate a spiritual conversation and let them know that the church, Jesus, religion is important to you.
6. Listen to them some more.
7. At the appropriate moment (s) tell them more about Jesus.